Industrial Placements and Internships
At Arctic Lake, we’re looking for problem-solving, challenge-seeking, knowledge-soaking students to join with our team in London.
Are you looking for an internship or placement where you can make a meaningful contribution to the company? Do you dread the thought of doing mind-numbing work with legacy software at a big tech firm? Do you want to experience the pace and potential of a start-up without the uncertainty and risk? If you answered an emphatic YES, this role is for you!
Who we are:
Arctic Lake is a growing tech company based in London that builds and operates custom high-performance low-latency electronic trading platforms. Our proprietary software allows our financial services clients to compete in the tech-driven trading space without hiring their own in-house development teams.
Successful applicants should be:
In your penultimate year of a Computer Science, Information Engineering, or similar degree (one year placements may need to apply sooner)
Highly proficient in Java or C, and likely a few other languages
Deeply interested in low level programming
A creative thinker who loves tackling complex issues
A self-starter who values seeing projects through from start to finish
Able to ask for help when you need it
Intern projects will vary in terms of length and scope, but you can expect to work on at least 3 separate projects with different members of the team during your placement. We will offer you a few options for things you can work on during your time with us so you can decide what to get up to. Additionally, we’re open to hearing your ideas. If you have been working on something you think could add value at Arctic Lake, let us know and we might be able to provide the opportunity to continue your personal or academic project under our supervision.
Arctic Lake interns often have the unique experience of watching their work go into production, so you will have opportunities to see your projects have a direct and lasting impact on the company.
Examples of Intern projects include:
- FPGA and Ultra Low Latency software
- Machine Learning for market risk modelling
- Software Defined Networks and network level ‘Kill Switch’
- Organise and create infrastructure for coding competition
- Development projects around our existing solutions and operations
You will have informal reviews at the end of each of your first three months, then every few months depending on the length of your placement, but we aim to provide constant feedback on your progress and achievements so you always know where you stand and have opportunities to ask questions and express concerns.
As we are looking to double the size of our development team over the next year and sustain growth thereafter, we have permanent roles available for after you graduate. This is a great opportunity for quick career progression that is not attainable at a larger company.
We can offer you:
- £40,000 annual salary pro rata
- Direct access to founders and other team members
- Ability to choose own project
- Flexible hours
- State-of-the-art tech
- 20 days holiday (plus all bank holidays) pro rata
- Team lunches every week
- Free snacks/drinks
- Frequent socials and company events
- Permanent employment after graduation
- HackerRank coding challenge (2 hour time limit)
- Initial call with HR representative (15-20 minutes)
- Paired coding session (1 hour)
- Culture-fit interview with founder and developer (1 hour)